Media Backgrounder for FAST-Friends & Allies of SmartTrack
• Formed in September 2015 by a group of like minded individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds with the common purpose of promoting SmartTrack
• FAST’s mission is to advocate for SmartTrack’s construction and to educate the public on its benefits
• How? Town halls, providing speakers to community groups, dissemination of information and analysis through the website: www.FASTGTA.ca
• FAST sees Regional Express Rail and the concept of SmartTrack as a project that could provide the quickest and most dramatic improvement in mass transit for the GTA, given that 90% of the needed corridors are already in public hands and senior levels of government have committed funding
• FAST takes no position on the challenges facing SmartTrack, whether it is the Eglinton West section, project funding or fares. We support the broad concept of SmartTrack and call upon our leaders to carefully plan and to consult widely to work through the issues.
• FAST has no direct connection with the office of Mayor John Tory. It exists solely to support the concept of SmartTrack
• The Public Advisory Board currently has 5 members: Alvin Curling (Chair), David S. Young, Kyle Rae, Michael Brooks and Andrea Geddes Poole. Biographies can be found at www.FASTGTA.ca. We are actively searching for more board members to provide us with the broadest possible representation
• FAST is incorporated as a not-for-profit
• FAST will register as a lobbyist, but the principal mission is public awareness and advocacy
• FAST will be requesting donations to support its work. All money donated will be spent on awareness and advocacy campaigns. Budgets will depend on the amounts raised
• Names of donors will be posted on the FAST website: www.FASTGTA.ca
• Names of supporters (FAST Friends) will also be posted
DID YOU KNOW…?
Approximately 90% of SmartTrack would run along corridors that are already in public hands, so it will not displace any existing roadways.MORE SMARTFACTS ›